360 Magnum

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Engine quest heads and springs, I called engine quest and they said springs a bit better than stock. They think 5500rpm should be fine, my cam is just a bit better than stock, I think you would call it an RV cam, howards spec it 1000 to 5200 but I might not see 5200, maybe a 318 might. I will be happy with 5000rpm

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've had small blocks on the the dyno with cams in the 5.50 lift, 250 @ 50 duration range that I've compared a 600, 750 and a 850. There was a only a 8 hp difference top to bottom, 6500 rpm motors.
On a street motor I would go smaller than larger,.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yes I have read that a 600 is about the best for what I want and there was a few HP in it, sure if you wanting every little bit of HP a 600 isn't the right carb but for general use I think it is. Keith Dunnuck (sorry if I spelt your name wrong Keith) also Dyno'ed his 360 mule and said the 360 responded well with the smaller CFM carbs! and he recommended me a 600! So I tend not want to reinvent the wheel and go with whats been proven. There is actually a very interesting article on carbs where one of the mags took several different sizes and put them on the engine and compared them all, I think the biggest increases was going to a 600, the rest of the carbs got bigger and produced more power, but think there was less than 10hp in it once you got to a 600, let me see if I can find it, its good info for everyone who likes carbs!

Took me a while but I found it Power Testing Seven Holley Carbs - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I would go smaller carburetor as well – but with that said, each carburetor is made different and acts different for each engine.

It is a bit more work – but In My Opinion – once car is running like it should – try each of your other carburetors on for size. Besides it gives you more WOT opportunities.

Also, just because choice A gives better numbers, and choice B might be better suited, doesn’t mean that choice C won’t give a bigger grin, or is more drivable, etc.
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Sat mornings effort

e1.jpg
e2.jpg
e2.jpg

e3.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Well I managed to get the trans cross member and engine mounts all done up last night, now onto the dreaded headers! The back bolts are quite a prick to do!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I though Chrisitne just got jealous of other cars/people and ran them over.

Blood Drive (what a horrid bit of science fiction) cars don't eat its owners, they eat human flesh. The drivers feed them body parts, and sometimes complete people.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
To paraphrase "Blondie" :
And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night, eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercury's and Subaru's
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Drivers side header on! the brake booster, the steering column shaft, the steering gear are the problem on the drivers side! But I am probably telling the converted :)

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
now add in the old style torsion bars and the big old style starter... now thats a pain :)

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
I've thought about doing the Dutra dual manifold upgrade to my wagon's /6. Two big pipes exiting out the back... someday maybe. Right now I savor the mighty 105 HP already on tap!

Back