360 Magnum

brotherGood

Reaction score
Alright, because there were like 14 different threads about this engine, im just gonna ask the question here. Which intake did you use..the crosswind or something else. I need to figure out which to get for my 360.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion, you might want to remove the distributer before dropping in the engine – to prevent damage to it.

The answer doesn’t matter to me – but might to you. Is your intake bolted down?
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
yes its just in there to block the hole at the moment, but for sure its coming out! I have never put an engine in with trans attached before, will it go straight in or will I need to jack the car up?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It has been a while sense I have done it that way.

You might have to jack rear of car higher than front is.
You might have to remove the hood, possibly (depends on how long your chain is.
Also, I hadn’t used an intake lift plate like that, either (on engine and trans removal/reinstallation) – which might make it easier or harder.

The radiator will need to come out.

The A/C condenser (if equipped) should be fine – but I would place some cardboard in front if it.

The old transmission will make a huge mess during removal – using that method – so highly recommend draining as much as you can from old transmission, first (drop pan).

Transmission cooler lines would be best to transfer over before install – for headers can make that job, in-car, hair pulling.

Is there any fluid in the new transmission?
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
What I have done and I am not sure if I am correct or not, but I have gone for a manifold that has big ports for a 360, performer has small ports, performer RPM has big ports, the speedmaster has big ports to matches up with a magnum ok. My cam isn't big, spec from 1000 to 5200, so if I can pull through to 5200rpm it will be able to have plenty of gulp of air even though the intake maybe a bit of an over kill, I bought the intake for my other 360 but have since sold it so don't want the speedmaster to go to waste, was going to run a 600cfm carb as well but do have a 770 street avenger carb but seems for 5000rpm on a 360 a 600 cfm should cover that easy and have great low down response!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Not trying to get off subject – but to update a misconception.
. . .360, performer has small ports, performer RPM . . .
The Performer 2176/3776 is a big port intake that necks down close to the cylinder head to small port cylinder heads. It takes only a few minutes to grind the aluminum ramps off – to make a 360 port intake.

I even ran my 340 with a performer intake for a while (not knowing) and it ran fine before the mod. Sense I don’t like high RPMs, I really didn’t notice the difference - after the ramps were ground off. Also, my 340 had a milder camshaft than what BruceNZ has - which might also be why.

Performer 2176.3776.png

Red is Performer intake.
Blue is 360 cylinder head port. Green is 318 port size.
Orange is the ramp that needs to be ground off for a Performer 2176/3776 to be a true 340/360 port size.

If you see a Performer (not the Performer RPM), stick your finger inside of the port and you will quickly know what I’m talking about. The way it is designed, those ramps grind/sand off pretty quick.
In my opinion, the Performer might be one of the best 340/360 intakes out there - for 90% street usage, that will also work great for a 318.
That said, there are a lot of intakes I hadn't played with . . . yet.
BudW

Edit:
BTW, this is not saying that the intake BruceNZ has is not the best one for his application – and it might very well be.

All I’m saying is the Performer 2176/3776 intake was designed to work with both small port (318) heads and 340/360 heads (with minor work).

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
Ok..I've never heard of speedmaster79.. that's where I got lost. It looks like it's a crosswind.. which I've been mulling over getting for the 360.

As far as carb choice.. I'd be interested to see how the 600 handles it. I'm already planning on upgrading to at least a 670 if not more

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The 600 will work just fine, I don't think you can feel the difference between the two if both are setup correct.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
It all depends on max rpm you want to turn, since I am not going to turn to 6500rpm I don't need a big carb. It seems 600 is pretty universal carb, you can go bigger and get a little more power at the top end but effect low down performance and increase fuel consumption, this is a street driven car and will not be spending its life at the redline all day. So hope 600 will be perfect! I have an o2 sensor to put in exhaust and vacuum guage so I can monitor things.

brotherGood

Reaction score
It all depends on max rpm you want to turn, since I am not going to turn to 6500rpm I don't need a big carb. It seems 600 is pretty universal carb, you can go bigger and get a little more power at the top end but effect low down performance and increase fuel consumption, this is a street driven car and will not be spending its life at the redline all day. So hope 600 will be perfect! I have an o2 sensor to put in exhaust and vacuum guage so I can monitor things.

Good point.. didn't remember our uses would be different.. haha

Mine will be street driven.. but I hope to frequent the strip with it too

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Thats one of the biggest things I have found in the USA, NONE!! and I mean no one street drives old cars in the USA, they are all geared for 1/4 mile drag racing! I am not saying you don't drive on the street but on the street its got real lumpy idle, every rice rocket Honda driver thinks you want to drag race them at the street lights! I want some performance (which a stock mag would of done that) I have put in a RV type cam in, I can drive it to work, tow things if I need to and it will idle like a kitten! But i won't have the HP figures to crow about, nor will I have a 13s 1/4 mile piece of paper, what I will have is a nice car to drive, plenty of power on the street, easy on gas with the smaller carb and all the power will be over and done by 5000rpm, my engine will last a long time. Just food for thought.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz:

Your impression is incorrect. You may be getting that impression from the TV shows and media, but there are a lot of older cars being used as daily drivers. I see them here, a lot. Not necessarily Mopars, as this city seems to be very Chevy oriented, but there are a lot of older street daily driven cars, from my friend's hot rodded '51 Mercury to a stock '79 Chrysler 300 (stock with a few body modifications, but needs work_. I can say for a fact that they are not being drag raced in the formal sense, since Calgary no longer has a drag strip as of 2 years ago. I would assume that some are being street raced, but they are being driven to the street races, not trailer-ed there.

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I think you may be pleasantly surprised in how well your car will run. I wouldn't be shocked if you hit the 13s.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
It would be nice to think I may but if it has stella off line performance and it can do 50+ mph in first gear i will have a BIG smile on my face!

4speedjim

Reaction score
Cam and valve springs are the only limiting factor on your 360. I believe your heads, 600 or 750 carb and intake will both turn past 5k no problem.

Back