Aspen "Stocker" project

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I just bought the 15x8 and 15x5s for my Ford, nice wheels and a good deal!

4speedjim

Reaction score
really nice straight good looking car. Look forward to seeing pics of it at the track, wheels up at launch!! Well maybe

cjd1963

Reaction score
5A952CDD-33AF-452B-9D39-A381CBA19B60.jpeg
Making some progress on the Aspen. Rear end is in place, took a couple of attempts to get it centered. Still have to sort out pinion angle and the driveshaft but getting closer.

cjd1963

Reaction score
Time for a long overdue update...finished the Aspen named “George”up in July. Took him out for a test drive. We live out in the sticks so lots of open roads. Everything was looking good. Parked the car in the driveway and went in the house for about 2 hours. Started it up to put back in the shop and the oil pressure was 15 lbs. WTF? II have checked numerous possible culprits...drained the oil, clean. No metal shavings, changed the filter. Checked the gauge and line to the gauge, looking for anything that could partially clog the passages that would result in an oil pressure drop. Removed the drag link and dropped the pan to check inside the pan and the pickup tube. Looking for anything suspicious. Put the pan back on, fresh oil and filter. Primed the pump with a 3/8 drive drill and the gauge shot up to 58 lbs. Stated it up and it was at 20 lbs. Gave it a little bit of throttle and it went over 40 lbs. No funny noises or screeching of any kind. There is a partial blockage somewhere and it’s driving me crazy. Putting it back together to drive around and hope that the clog will dislodge itself. Anyone else have this experience?

00E0A4F7-A8BB-49FA-ABE6-95D6BBAC2CFF.jpeg

85545BEC-7F56-49E8-8084-9207426F419E.jpeg

F8B28E50-50DE-4A14-8B2F-7767B1914A5A.jpeg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've had relief valves go bad in oil pump before, stick open.

Both times it was debris that had run into the pump that made the valves stick open.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Shit, how did I miss this post?? I love this car!

Did you cut the old filter apart with tin-snips and peak inside? Check the bearings while the pan was off?

volare 77

Reaction score
Did you run wire down the sending unit hole in the block to see if it is blocked there? Maybe it`s not the pressure dropping but just what it is reading on the gauge. Little late now but I probably would have put in a new pump on while you had the pan off just to rule that out.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The pan needs to come back off. Pull the pump and look at rods and mains.

Locomotion

Reaction score
I'm not sure how low the oil pressure would be, but have you confirmed that the press-in plug had been installed in the passage between the oil pressure gauge port by the distributor and the rear main cap? The plug goes in under the #5 main and separates 2 passages when it bottoms out. Without it, pressure would be bled off rather than restricted.
It's been so long since I looked it up, I forgot the details. Might have to pull the pan & #5 cap to confirm. Not sure if you could get accurate measurements by dropping a straight coat hanger down the oil pressure feed and comparing the measurement to a block that is known to have the plug installed.

Is that what Volare 77 is suggesting? It's suppose to be blocked by the plug, but would bottom out on #5 main without it.

Also, there is a second lifter oil galley screw-in plug towards the back. Normally that smaller plug is installed before the larger, external one is screwed in. Could have been overlooked and can be checked by removing the intake.

Several other plugs are in the block, but these two can be most easily overlooked.

Duke5A

Reaction score
This is a running motor with previous good pressure. Don't think it's a plug.

volare 77

Reaction score
I was talking about maybe a clog at the oil sender oil feed hole in the block.. As far as the plug you were talking about I remember it being said a thin rod can be put down the oil sender feed hole and it should measure around 7.5 inches.

Ed Dorey

Reaction score
Very sweet ride. Good luck racing this season.

Bought an easy 79 Aspen stock eliminator project recently. 318 4bbl. that fits in N/SA. Probably seen it on this website before. Only work that needs to be done is to replace the 8 1/4 rear with an 8 3/4 (Picked up the rear end last week) add a set of Caltracs and put on my slicks and front runners. Can't wait for racing season!View attachment 27912 View attachment 27913 View attachment 27908 View attachment 27909 View attachment 27910

cjd1963

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I don't think it's the pump since it pumps almost 60 lbs. when I primed it after putting the pan back on. Fresh oil and filter. Did run a stiff wire down the oil sender feed hole and it bottomed out at about 7 inches or so. Also tried a new guage and it read the same. This is a running engine with quite a few passes on it. Seems odd that the oil pressure would drop after running the engine (drove the car about 4 miles with everything appearing normal) letting it cool down for about 2 hours and then starting it and seeing the guage read 15 lbs. Seems like I would have seen some metal shaving's when I drained the oil and ran it through a strainer (twice) if it were a bearing going bad. Oil is very clean. Nothing laying in the bottom of the oil pan or the drain pans. Will continue to brainstorm and make up new cuss words. :mad: Craig

volare 77

Reaction score
If it was the bad bearings I wouldn`t think the oil pressure would not vary that much. It would just get lower and lower over time I would think. Now the oil pump as stated above if the spring is broken or sticking then I could see it vary from high to low. Just my thoughts.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The oil pump will drop like that if you just got done hammering on it before you shut it off. The relief valve is open and let's in what ever and will not allow it to close.

cjd1963

Reaction score
If it was the bad bearings I wouldn`t think the oil pressure would not vary that much. It would just get lower and lower over time I would think. Now the oil pump as stated above if the spring is broken or sticking then I could see it vary from high to low. Just my thoughts.
So you're saying that even though I got a 58 lb. reading on the guage when I primed the pump with a 3/8 drive drill that the oil pump could still be the problem? Craig

cjd1963

Reaction score
The oil pump will drop like that if you just got done hammering on it before you shut it off. The relief valve is open and let's in what ever and will not allow it to close.
I wasn't hammering on it. Just driving it easy checking everything out. Craig

Back