Cams and combinations, food for thought.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
If you think about it, a car that goes 150 in the quarter has to have a parachute <).

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Would a guy survive when the parachute explodes off his back/ How would it know which way's up?,lol?
I've seen those guys rag-dolling down the mountain when things go wrong. Yeah I'm staying off sleds too. and Quads. And skates; no more skates.
The couch seems pretty safe tho.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I said the very same thing about the couch today, in November I fell off the top of a eight foot step ladder cleaning the camper ( got a cut on my forehead and a black eye), then three weeks ago I was going to slid a 460 Ford from the far corner of my garage with a five foot pry bar so I could load it on my trailer. I sat the bar against the work bench and then started to move thing's around, the bar falls over hits me on the nose, brakes my nose and my new glasses.
Yep the couch is saffer.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Well I spent Thursday and Friday emailing and on the phone with JW Transmission going over a converter for my 500" combination and a C4 for my 64 Fairlane. The 64 has a JW converter in it and I've been happy with it, but there telling me there's no way to set up a C4 with a boosted application can have full auto because of the vacuum modulator, no vacuum on a boosted motor. The only manual VB they have is full coost, no good for the street.
I'm going to send the Fairlane to my daughter in Des Moines after it's finished, I'd like it the have drive or a 5 speed manual gearbox, if auto she might have to deal with only having 450hp.

The converter for the 727 is another thing, my thinking is that I should be able too use the 600 ftlb or torque at 4200 and let the motor pull from there.
JWs salesman Eric had to get back to me because he didn't know Chrysler, he lost me at that point, he sent me an email that said 9" converter tight $1295.00.
Sorry been there done that, got a converter that flashes at 6000 rpm.

I called ATI then sent info. after they closed, Steve the guy that does my valve jobs runs a stock class J body and recommended ATI.
I'll see what Monday brings.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I can't believe there's not a solution with all the turbo fox body Mustangs.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Yeah,I agree.
I'm not a Ford guy. I've built a few old C6s, and C4s. But I had a bad experience with an FMX. I swore off those.....forever.
I'm thinking; the modulator is just a load-sensing device, and as mechanics and fitters, we should be able to re-engineer how that device works,or adapt a different actuator. I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to use a C4 on boost, that,given enough time,I could figure something out;and I bet you could too!
Maybe an automatic switcher. Switching from manifold vacuum when non-boosted to an alternate source when under boost. In a blow-thru, I wonder if the turbo could pull a vacuum on the intake side. You might need a vacuum-amplifier. You might engineer the switch with the secondaries.
Or just convert the device to be mechanically operated by the foot-feeder,much like the Mopar KD system, or cabled like the GM system, or Lokar'ed. Perhaps a little primitive, but effective non-the-less.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
TPS controling an electric vacuum modulator.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Here's a video on e-85 and Friburger is a little slow but gets it in the end.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
With the iron heads I saw a larger bump in hp and torque.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Here is something that is relevant on this site.

I saw this and noted how it applies to my BB builds and the magnum builds also.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Here is one of my favorite things to do, after all I can get 645 hp from Factory Heads!

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
You know they mentioned the Scr on the 410 as 10.1/1, but they never mentioned what it was on the 367.That's not fair!
But I found that not a good cam for a DD, nor a streeter. With 3.55s,and a clutch, the power didn't start until 47 mph.And I was disappointed with the torque at lower Rs. I advanced it twice during the summer, but by fall it was long-gone.
I replaced it with a 270/280/110cam @ 10.9Scr. That was a winner with gobs of torque. I ran this one with a number of different gears and transmissions,and carbs, always on the AirGap.
But that cam died in her 4th year, when they took the ZDDP out of the oil, and didn't send me a memo.
Next I installed a 276/286/110 also at 10.9Scr. It ain't much different ,but it sux gas in comparison........Yeah it lost a bit of torque, and gained a bit on top. With my new low gear, the power starts around 34mph. Now that's useful.She's been in there since 2004, now.
The 270 was my favorite.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've always wanted to pull a 4 speed in the Volare but I think unless I just babbied it either motor would tair it up.

Mabey you could tell me what I have for a small block in my shed, it's from a 74 Duster, 360 four barrel. It's been a few years since I was back in the corner to look at it but it has an orange duel inlet air cleaner that has 360 four barrel on it and high exhaust perf. manifolds.

I bought it because it was complete, all the small parts and un molested. I plan on going through the shed this summer and getting rid of the extras.

80mirada

Reaction score
That 360 had some machining issues, the decks were cut out of square and the balance was off too. It was supposed to have the same compression as the 408. They were pretty pissed about it, but they needed it for their shoot. After the show it was torn down and the problems fixed by another shop and i think it ended up at 10.6:1

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
it's a 74 Duster, 360 four barrel. It has an orange duel inlet air cleaner that has 360 four barrel on it and high exhaust perf. manifolds.
Would need to get the engine number off of the Left Front block (just below the Left Cylinder Head gasket surface) to know more about the engine when made.
What happened to it afterwards – will be more difficult to know.

The '74 performance air cleaners were orange and single snorkel.
It is hard for me to tell a performance vs. normal exhaust manifold with them still bolted on – except by casting numbers. All drivers side A-body exhaust manifold all go up then dumps at rear of engine – so at first sight, l can't tell if performance, or not.
Anyone can get an older dual snorkel air cleaner and install it – so that one is a mystory.

The TQ model number might be a good indicator, maybe. The four different TQ model numbers used for '74 HP 360's are 6452, 6453, 6454 and 6455 (last two are California versions, the even-number ones are 4-speeds). All four versions are some of the best versions of the TQ's out there.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I cant remember but I'm thinking its a L code motor. I think tomorrow I'm going to have to clime over everything and have a look.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Just to much junk, it will have to wait till spring.
But I did some research on the internet and it must be a 73 because that's the air cleaner that it has. I found it local on a Saterday shopping day and brought it home, I was excited because of the 4 barrel and how complete it was. It had manual trans behind it but was gone before I got there, but it still had the bellhousing.

Last edited:
Back