Driving Requires Attention

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'll come join you! Would be better than any movie or TV show.
I am very surprised. With the heavy snow that the million plows can't even keep up with, white out conditions, etc....On the way home coming up the Interstate I didn't encounter one idiot trying to go 70, anyone following too close or a single vehicle in a ditch, rail or wall. Traffic just cruised along at around 35 mph or so all the way home. No problems! Usually it'll be MOST people driving with a brain and then there will be that one f****** brainless, clueless moron saying "I've got 4 wheel drive (or all wheel drive) so I can go the speed limit (70 most of the way) no matter what. There was none of that. Made the drive not so white knuckle.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'll come join you! Would be better than any movie or TV show.
I am very surprised. With the heavy snow that the million plows can't even keep up with, white out conditions, etc....On the way home coming up the Interstate I didn't encounter one idiot trying to go 70, anyone following too close or a single vehicle in a ditch, rail or wall. Traffic just cruised along at around 35 mph or so all the way home. No problems! Usually it'll be MOST people driving with a brain and then there will be that one f****** brainless, clueless moron saying "I've got 4 wheel drive (or all wheel drive) so I can go the speed limit (70 most of the way) no matter what. There was none of that. Made the drive not so white knuckle.

I was just talking to someone about that. I hear all these commercials about how the new Toyonda Somethinerother can take on anything winter can dish out with so much safety.

Yes......as long as your not an idiot and actually drive according to the road conditions. Guess they left that part out. Which is exactly why the words "single vehicle crash" are so common these days.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Getting back to the subject. Last week I was in the daily driver, in the right lane minding my own business talking to the wife on the blue tooth. When a young male runs his rear quarter panel into my front fender.
No insurance so $500.00 is coming out of my pocket.
40 minutes for the Houston Police to show up to give him a ticket. And then the cop lets him get in it and drive home.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's the only thing I really miss about my Craprice. I had at least six people hit that thing. It would totally trash their car and I'd just wipe their paint or plastic off.

I did like having a car I absolutely didn't care about.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Duh, in a hurry.
smash.jpg

Around 7:30 a.m., a westbound car attempted to pass a tractor-trailer and slammed into an eastbound vehicle near the First Ave. overpass.
Road and weather conditions were good at the time.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Story from way back (maybe 1984 or so). I had a '71 Monaco and a friend and I were driving down Grand Avenue over in Wausau. There was this Renault LeCar (remember those ugly freaking things?) following so close I couldn't even see their hood, just windshield. I'm like WTF b****h? Now, the Monaco was a fairly decent car and obviously I didn't want it wrecked but on the other hand it wouldn't have been the end of the world either. I remember saying to my buddy "if that light coming up turns yellow, hold on. We're going to get rear ended". Sure enough, light changed, I hit the brakes (not hard, just normally) and,,,,,,,,,,,,,CRUNCH. The dumb box (sorry, I don't normally degrade women but in this case.......) drove right into my back bumper. Don't forget, on a '71 Monaco the whole back of the car is a bumper. When the cop got there he seriously asked me where the other vehicle involved was, lol! When she hit, I wasn't stopped yet so my car was few feet ahead. I pointed at the Monaco and said "that's it right there". He looked close and almost didn't believe me I think. A witness verified it though and the fact she was following so close. All I could see was a small scratch in the chrome, not a single ding or dent. The LeCar was flattened almost to the half way to the windshield.
Never did figure out why she thought she had to follow that close. My guess is it had to have been less than 3 feet. The LeCar was obviously totaled and the driver got a ride in a big red and white van with red and blue lights staffed by a couple paramedics and got a nice ticket and fine to pay on top of it I would think. Did I mention the idiot wasn't wearing her seat belt? I did feel bad she got seriously hurt but it was her own dumb fault.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I have on occasion some blind Magoo so close to the back bumper that I can't see their headlights.
THIS is the time to have a cut off switch for the brake lights.

Aspen500

Reaction score
One time when I had some clueless a-hole tailgating, I saw a squad car on a side street with the radar. When we went by he immediately pulled out, turned on the red and blues and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pulled over the tailgater(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I was going the posted 35 mph limit so the ticket had to be for following too close. Sometimes,,,,,justice is served.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I see too many times someone doing the Nascar 'have to win' passes over and over on the 2 lane highway , only to be the car in front of me at the lights 10 minutes later.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I see too many times someone doing the Nascar 'have to win' passes over and over on the 2 lane highway , only to be the car in front of me at the lights 10 minutes later.
I love those people. Same as the ones that go from lane to lane on the freeway, while I just cruise along at whatever speed the lane I'm in is going and stop right behind them 10 minutes later on an off ramp.
It always seems to be a certain kind of car. Any BMW or course but old Pontiac Grand Am drivers tend to be idiots more often than not also.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

As some of you know I go to my trailer up north almost every weekend from around March to October. There's really only one large highway to get you there. The 401. Doc knows all about our infamous 401. When the weather gets warm and beautiful this thing is basically a parking lot till you get through three small cities (the burbs). Nobody is getting anywhere. It's a crawl for like an hour.

But you always see the clowns going from this lane to that lane and back. Cutting people off to get into another lane. All while we're all doing like 3mph....then of course......I pass them by just staying in the same lane. You really can't fix stupid.

I love those people. Same as the ones that go from lane to lane on the freeway, while I just cruise along at whatever speed the lane I'm in is going and stop right behind them 10 minutes later on an off ramp.
It always seems to be a certain kind of car. Any BMW or course but old Pontiac Grand Am drivers tend to be idiots more often than not also.

Yep. Pretty much anything pretentious and European guarantees that they're going to drive like a complete idiot.

It's funny with brands. You almost really are what you drive. Beemer almost always means pretentious self important wipe. Same with Audi. A Porsche SUV immediately means the same multiplied. Hummer? A complete asshole with size issues......and Buick's.....don't get me started....is there a governor on those bloody things to make sure they all do 10 klicks under the posted limit????

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I had to drive through the rich section of town with all their over priced box stores and mall.

Of course NO ONE can drive in that part of town.
Green light means 'Duhhhhhh' and advanced greens mean 'stay still'
Then brake lights on all over, and why am I NOT on the brakes?

80mirada

Reaction score
When I bought my Mirada it had 4 horns and two horn relays (both were fried). The guy who had had it before it was in Iowa, was stationed in Tennessee and now I understand why. Nothing but morons on the highways here.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I had to drive through the rich section of town with all their over priced box stores and mall.

Of course NO ONE can drive in that part of town.
Green light means 'Duhhhhhh' and advanced greens mean 'stay still'
Then brake lights on all over, and why am I NOT on the brakes?

We seem to have the same drivers here.

When I bought my Mirada it had 4 horns and two horn relays (both were fried). The guy who had had it before it was in Iowa, was stationed in Tennessee and now I understand why. Nothing but morons on the highways here.

Idiocy behind the wheel has become global now. It doesn't seem to matter what city you go to.
--- Post updated ---
Aaaannnnnnd the me me me mental meltdown continues......

Just over this weekend I've seen at least 10 or more accidents in the local news rag. People now have the attention span of a charcoal briquet. Plus with all of these great collision avoidance features on new cars there's no more need to actually pay attention or know how to drive.

With all the undeniable stupidity out there on the roads it's no wonder they want self driving cars.

Justwondering

Reaction score
From the other end of the pond, my brother came to stay with us for a while.
Drove in to town to get my mail (8 miles one way). Along the trip, there were 3 cars coming north as we were going south.
Everyone (2 trucks, 1 sedan), everyone waved. I waved back.
My brother asked who they were. Said I didn't know. Its just the way things are here in the boonies.
Next day we go to the county seat (24 miles one way). On the way in, a sheriff's car came zooming towards us with siren on and lights going. I pulled over to the shoulder. So did both of the other vehicles in front of me. My brother shook his head in disbelief.
His comment 'Its like you all read the driving manual and all followed it in real life'.
Well, duh!

Now when I have to go to the big city to doctor appointments (114 miles one way), its like a freakin war zone/circus act. If the vehicle was made in the past 5 years, they think they are entitled to drive how they want, where they want, and at whatever speed they want.
I love having a dually. That wide ass end is hard to see around when they get behind me. I am sure their cortisol level is through the roof biding their time when the oncoming traffic won't ease up.

My stress level is nada. Truck's paid for. I sit up twice as high as the top of their jellybean. I get the same mileage if I go 10 mph or 70 mph. I have two tanks so I can run forever. And as large as it is, if I want in another lane ... I get in another lane.

Not that I drive aggressive, but when you put your blinker on and drive for 3 blocks someone should be polite and let you over is all I'm saying. When they don't, you just have to remind them of the manners they have forgotten.

Back