Heavy Metal Hell raiser

greymouser7

Reaction score
The grinding, truck bedliner, rubber coating of the INSIDE of the doors is complete.

Had to order a fuel tank grommet- looked at the pic, correct shape-almost too small-with cussing and detroit iron will-Rich got it on the later model tank and filler neck pipe. It takes vaseline and over an hour to get it on. The straps from either version of tank don't exactly plug and play, so we will have to drill and adapt with the bolts and straps.

You have to use head liner glue (ours was in an orange can-pics to come). I have 3 large separate strips of rubber sheet now glued to the over head of the cabin.

I have about 3 pounds of rubber mat & 1.5 quarts of contact cement stuck to the floor pan inside the cabin. The sheets that soak up oil (pig mat is the unofficial name that I know them by) {these don't absorb water hardly at all} are on top of a few rubber sheet spots where the glue got away from me.

One step forward, ten steps back. The windshield transfer failed. He { a preofessional windshield guy}could cut my windshield out with the butyl black rtv-like-stuff no problem (Aspen car). He praised the urethane sealant that he regularly used-until he failed to cut out the urethane-sealed windshield from the donor-Volare car. So now no windshield. The order/part number for our windshield I believe is BW858.

The holes are drilled for the tail lights.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I am freaking out. Just all around sucks. she could have told me when she was coming back. I have to pack what I can fit into my car and leave when she gets back. I have had to let alot of stuff go. and I have to get the house straight before she gets back so she doesnt try to sue me for damages. ALOT more would have been done on the car if it were not for this happening. at least all the welding was finished and most of the cars body fill was complete.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Man....I'm really sorry to hear that. You did more than what most humans could do in an insanely short time. Hopefully you can get settled and pick up where you left off. Good vibes your way man...

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Might have a few days. her parents are emailing me the date. we can work on it at his house. but when she gets here I have to leave. I have a job lined up with a Heating and Air company my mothers friend works for. it either that or work at UGA fixing fleet vehicles.

compubert

Reaction score
Do what you can with what you have and let the rest fall where it will, LIke everyone says, you kicked azz and took names on this set of cars!!! :) hang in there man...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Definitely....
That was a jaw dropping display of gitten 'er dun man.
Never seen anything like that.
You should be damn proud of yourself.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Positive update:

Rich agreed to continue helping me install the dash-which includes A/C, clutch pedals, ventilation ducting, speaker wire, {CB radio, speedo, gauges, partial ventilation, clock}-dash assembly, dash pad...

We drove out to Waycross, Georgia again and pulled the A/C (disassembling the ENTIRE dash) box, and vacuum hoses from a Diplomat in a junkyard. The last time that we were there the owner glared at Rich (Rich thinks it was his long hair and beard) and wanted a ridiculous amount of money. We did not get upset, we were polite, and positive and it paid off in spades today. I got every thing for $60 including GA$ for the drive. Today was a good day. :)

I guess you have to be very careful in these old cars as there were razor blades, dooby-blunts, needles, used condom wrappers through every cubby hole and on the floor of the vehicle.

If you have never gone through the dash of an A/C vehicle, it is exceptionally complicated and busy with wires, sometimes cables, and vacuum hoses, wire wrap, bolts, and screws. I was very happy to have a master mechanic with me as I felt a bit overwhelmed trying to carefully unconnect it all.

The previously posted pictures of the Air/Conditioning-under-dash-handler-box that I bought is for a different Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge vehicle. This is just ANOTHER example of getting ripped off in this hobby. The box was labeled 77' Volare-it wasn't from our vehicles at all.

During the ten plus days of not blogging on the build, I have been sanding, sanding, sanding, and laying down primer on the car. The experts say that the car paint cannot be layered down too thick. So far I have been simply trying to seal the exposed bare metal and leveled bondo that has been straightened into correct body lines. I have not sprayed the epoxy primer that will seal all of the exterior hard work yet. It has been the driest here that I have ever known since 1999. It has been getting cold in the evenings. Not Cold like Captain Caravel understands the word, but cold for this beach front swamp. My window to paint is shrinking.

Getting the A/C unit, and a few more days of Rich's help has really lifted my spirits as work has been extremely stressful for the last few weeks.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Behind the dash of the diplomat. I will post pictures of the unit tomorrow

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

photo_001.jpg

photo_002.jpg

photo_003.jpg

greymouser7

Reaction score
I went to optometry today, I thought that I was just going to get a prescription for glasses.

They dilated my pupils, but she put 3 sets of 10 drops in my eyes. Instead of just a few standard drops, so I had no iris color, only black pupils on white eyeballs-I could not stand to be outside.

They did not even tell me not to drive. I could not read a computer screen for hours, or my cell phone.

I wore a cheap plastic dark plastic under my generic sunglasses and even the reflection of my white forearms hurt out of the corner of the dark lenses.
My eyes are still dilated a little from this morning (09:40). I did not work on the car today, just played with the baby & talked to the wife.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well, at least your eyes were well enough to not got mixed up. You could've been talking to the baby and playing with the wife.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Rich and I worked all day on the car. Rich got the holes cut out & A/C air handler installed under the dash with the ventilation ducting. We were still trying to add the wiring to the fuse box for the rear defrost relay when we stopped shop this evening.

I am very happy with the progress.

More tomorrow

Last edited:
Back