Heavy Metal Hell raiser

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
yeah it looked real good inside we forgot to check the ratio on the ring gear before closing it back up will check that later

brotherGood

Reaction score
Looks like I found myself a Sure Grip rear..haha, jk.

Seriously though...Im jealous..lol. And, x2 on getting lucky without the plug. That could've been bad..lol

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I'm up again after staying awake last night untill 3AM stripping the passenger fender that was encapsulated in BONDO...I also dug out my garage again...once greymouser takes away the scrap metal and the unneeded parts. I will be able to roll cars in and out of the garage again...we are very close to getting the cars done but allot has to happen every day for it to happen before my soon to be EX wife gets home..

greymouser7

Reaction score
I am using a pipe wrench on the lower portion of the shock while I loosen the lower nut

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

photo_001.jpg

photo_002.jpg

greymouser7

Reaction score
Measured the leaf springs that I am replacing with against the leaf springs we just pulled out, and they are the same length-BUT the bolt knob that the mounting assembly locks down against is two inches off.

greymouser7

Reaction score
So our solution is to drill the four rubber pieces of the mounting assembly...

We drilled holes a couple of inches forward on the top & bottom iso-clamp rubber insulators. This actually worked. We were considering drilling the leaf springs, drilling the mounting hardware in addition to the iso-clamp rubber insulators, but this technique worked.

I am very happy to have the rear end portion of the car completely sorted out.

We applied truck bedliner over 99% of the underside of the rear of the car after I took the wire wheel grinder and wire grinding drill bit to every square inch under the vehicle. Rubber coat spray will go on after. I sure hope this holds the rust at bay considering we get so much rain and I drive on the coast where the humidity (intense) in the air has an alkaline (salty) PH which rusts the cars out very fast here. Everyone that parks at work has fading clear coat on their vehicles paint (if older that a year or two...).

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
I cannot stress enough how great of a guy Rich is. I am very grateful for all of his help and generosity. It's too bad that he's leaving soon, and that everybody doesn't have a Mopar buddy like him to work with. It is such a great thing. We can feed off of each others motivation-push each other to excel, & support each other with the crap that life trips you up with.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I cannot stress enough how great of a guy Rich is. I am very grateful for all of his help and generosity. It's too bad that he's leaving soon, and that everybody doesn't have a Mopar buddy like him to work with. It is such a great thing. We can feed off of each others motivation-push each other to excel, & support each other with the crap that life trips you up with.

I have to say that both of you guys have been a major inspiration to me.
Rich is an animal....I can't recall the last time I've seen anyone hit a project this hard and achieve the jaw dropping results that you've both produced in an incredibly short amount of time and done it on two cars that most would've scrapped.

My hat is off to you both.

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
The pictures keep failing to upload when I up load from Topify. This door has two different coats of orange paint, brown & gray bondo layers (same as the fenders that I was bitching about, and the hood-all from the Volare Road runner) and a metallic green layer of paint. I fear that we scrapped one of the rare metallic green volare road runners.

photo_001.jpg

photo_002.jpg

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
'Jim' sold me the trunk pan, filler neck, straps-everything needed to convert my early gas tank to the later 77'-89 gas tank. Just needed the fuel level piece which I found in my horde today. You can't slap the smile off my face because I am so damn excited. This car is going to be real sharp. ( thanks everyone for all of the help and encouragement!!!!!!!) these are the $20 gas tanks I found on eBay.

I do need to buy a filler-neck--gas tank grommet-rubber piece.

F body Jim? He's a good man.
<- Yes F body Jim.

...the Volare Road Runner's 8 1/4 rear axle:

The axle came from a E-58 360/727 vehicle.

The gears are 2.94, which coupled with a .73 over drive, will ensure lots of affordable driving.

Looks like you got lucky with the lack of plug.
Oh Yeah! {insert Coolaide guy breaking through wall}

Rich was so happy to try out the electric sander that I brought
- a hand held black and decker electric piece, coupled with 60 grit 3M sandpaper melts excess bondo away.

Measured the leaf springs...
-we had to get ?outside narrow? {basically lock washers} 1/2 inch washers to run up the zinc'd-grade-8-U bolts because we could not tighten the nuts all of the way. The backing plates had to be removed (axles had to come out..C-clamps) just to tighten up the outboard U-bolt nuts. The leaf spring isoclamp plates that I used are ribbed unlike that which I have used in my B-body. This setup required allot of wiggling during the assembly. Because they are ribbed, the fitment of the U bolt nut and narrow washers is real tight.

Had to call the cops out at Rich's house this morning!
<-This was cheesy dramatic banter because I called the police to verify the VIN of my Aspen (8 years ago lost the title from my eBay purchase-vehicle from Colorado).

greymouser7

Reaction score
Did not do much today (my birthday) I ate some chocolate cake, and spent some time with the wife and baby. Rich and I did paint truck bed liner inside the trunk.

Rich ground thru most of the paint on the driver's side door it's mostly at the green paint level-am not sure where the bondo level was. Rich & I have a bet about a cd player for his car and he got one for $19.XX but also paid $13 for the installation kit at Walmart...Guess I owe him a buck.
The installation kit actually says Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare as vehicles that it applies to. Wow!

Back