Heavy Metal Hell raiser

greymouser7

Reaction score
After several more calls to NeverenoughAuto, I started to reach people that did not hang up on their customers, but they could not figure out right away what was wrong on their end with my two sway bar orders. Eventually, they called Addco and realized that Addco is out of stock on the 893 front sway bar so I will wait two weeks for it's arrival.

I have had my pistons (WITH PISTON RINGS), connecting rods (ARP 2000 rod bolts), and crankshaft balanced together.

I dropped off the block last paycheck with the machinist, but did not realize that the main caps were not installed.-CRAP. DING. WOW.

I just brought them to Dan Dvorak today with cylinder head studs and main cap studs.
He is going to gap the rings for Nitrous oxide use with my motor.

I should have a short block assembled soon. The Kevko oil pan and pick up have not been delivered yet from KMJ (eBay).
I had purchased a milodon oil pan from musclemotors at the Mopar nationals back in August of 2011, but it has dissappeared-GONE.
I also cannot find the two valve (vice four) relief speedpro 360 + .040 pistons in my Mopar room. :(

With a forged rotating assembly, the weak point in my motor will be the cylinder head gaskets, and the main caps. If, and when I get to Nitrous, the best way to use it is not a '50, 100, 150, 200, 250...' kit. The best setup is to use progressive nitrous which utilizes solenoids that GRADUALLY provide more gas flow instead of a slam of pressure which shocks the rotating assembly, cylinder walls, main caps, cylinder head gaskets & bolts/studs. 'Wet-flow' is a set-up that seems to make sense as well, providing additional fuel during the NOS spray in order to avoid going to lean and achieving detonation and premature destruction

This contradicts my previous post about this 360's purpose; this forged 360 motor will start with a mild cam. I will build another 360 over time and slow budget (so my road runner's matching #340 is safe) -the plan is to always have a running mopar, build up the RR's 360, then switch to beating on my aspen with a 60403 lunati camshaft.

No sign of the cylinder heads yet from 76volareman.

If anyone is interested in a Lawman (google dvorakmachine) t-shirt, I can get you some that are autographed and he was a notable player in the Mopar drag racing legacy. These people (like the ram chargers, etc.) are passing on. I recommend meeting anyone you can if you get a chance. I love the culture and so many people like this in the Mopar hobby. I am considering doing an interview with him in order to post it to youtube for everyone to appreciate. I did this with my 98 year old great grandmother and it became very popular later on.

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Damn, sounds like a wild build on that engine!
What head gaskets are you planing on running?
Are you using "full groove" main bearings? (To supply full time oiling to the rod bearings, as they take a beating from the added cylinder pressure with the Nitrous)

greymouser7

Reaction score
Damn, sounds like a wild build on that engine!
What head gaskets are you planing on running?
Are you using "full groove" main bearings? (To supply full time oiling to the rod bearings, as they take a beating from the added cylinder pressure with the Nitrous)
-thaks so much for the encouragement, interest, and questions!!!!!!

Gaskets? might have to be felpro blues momentarily. I gotta see if Dan Dvorak can give me a smooth finish for the MLS head gaskets. but then that other guy here on this thread gave us a web link to the copper ring head gaskets. i already have the felpro blues now

i really really looked for the full groove bearings, i looked for the best bearings out there and just did not have enough info to go on in my infinite ignorance in this endeavor-i did not inherit any family experience or education in this path, mostly just read while on deployments

I did buy clevite 77?? bearings -the full set of some ##H bearings, which were $17X.00 dollars. I was thinking of sending them to someone to 'CUT' the V grooves. I am not sure if that would work but it is an idea. some people polish the bearings??? not sure how that is good for the topcoat

i also really need to get up to speed on the block oiling modifications right away

i plan on buying an oil pump that is blue printed from
' PrecisionOilPumps.com ' 2324 Decatur Avenue - Clovis, California 93611 559-325-3553
i have their billet oil pump drive already

Still needed: camshaft, pushrods, valve springs (PAC?), tires, driveshaft, seat foam, brake lines, fuel lines, air cleaner for dual quad, carb gaskets, linkage, & adapter plates, fixing my head liner, rev-limiter, weather stripping, high end clutch kit...

i have several different ecu's to chose from (a 7AL-2 even), a 200 watt alternator (ask Rich about all of my speakers), CVF aluminum pulleys, and an MSD crank trigger- would love to have timing gears to go with this, 1978 grille, 3.21 gears yet to be installed, distributor needs to be recurved, assembly lube (we have access to gallons of molybdenum di-sulfide anti-seize at work and have often wondered if this would work on some things), some sort of cam thrust plate?????

i have a question about which bolts/studs in the assembly get anti-seize, teflon tape, and loc-tite differently from each other

damn! just typing about this makes me so effing happy, i can see the neon Mopar light blinking red, yellow, green on a tree!

greymouser7

Reaction score
So I had over a thousand dollars saved up to buy the $400 clutch, driveshaft, camshaft, pushrods, seat cushions-I get a letter from the CODE Enforcement officer saying that my "Nuisance, Inoperable, unregistered vehicles" have to be removed from my property. I probably have about till the end of this month to get my stuff straight into one sock before they work their way up to a $1000 a day fines. FML. No HOA, just city ordinance. I checked on storage unit areas (which have outside parking areas as well)-prices have jumped from $30 a month (affordable) to $100 a month per vehicle. {thanks Rich for getting me sooo far ahead of the coming battle.}

I am going to insure, register (license plate), and tarp/car cover each rolling chassis. I have to build a fence where Rich crashed into the back neighbors fence (J/K Rich, but we both know you can't drive{thru stop signs & such}) -the neighbors old fence that LIES {rotted}between our back yards is where someone can see cars from. I figure if they cannot be seen, they are not a nuisance. They city went through and re-evaluated the value of everyone's homes for taxes-which I think is the same guy(s) that perform code enforcement. When I bought the house, everyone had a project car, which is what lead me to believe that I would be alright. That, and the real estate lady lied to me.?.

I have insured them before but it is some work to convince the insurance company that these vehicles are inoperable and that I will-not, cannot drive them-which is a significantly lower price coverage, but which will still increase my monthly bills. Once that is done, it takes a while to register them (Georgia looks up online if an Insurance Company has listed the vehicle as insured-no proof from drivers at all).
All but one of the ones I am keeping (3 B-bodies & the 76' R/T F-body) have four inflated tires under them. Some car covers with the license plates exposed, zip lock baggies with the current insurance card & registration took the wind out of their sales before. We'll see. None of the neighbors I have care-I know because I am actively talking-to/helping neighbors through out my community. I dug the post holes for all the surrounding fences, painted fences, checked on them after major power outages, will be pouring a driveway soon...

This is wiping out the money that drove me across the finish line. Stay tuned, if it was easy, everybody would be as awesome as us. My only regret is that I have but one body to drive a Mopar at a time-wasn't that Nathanael Greene?

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
You know what is a big scare? When your machinist asks you if the main caps you brought him are with-absolute-certainty the same ones that came with the block.

The previous machinist did not put them back onto the block. I brought the card box that was sitting next to the block. Evidently, you don't swap them, no matter what. (How do you install Pro-gram main caps in then?).

At any rate, we tightened them down, and he checked them with some sort of long micrometer and they checked out. I brought him the aluminum heads & valve covers as well.

He has quite abut of machining to do, and calculations between piston heighth, block deck heighth, cylinder head combustion chamber size...

He also still needs to check the crank against the block.

It seems like I have allot of money left to spend.

Called KMJ multiple times, finally got a person (American even) and told them that they never sent the oil tube pan pickup. Everyone that sells parts seem to be dropping the ball.

I am building the Richard Racing Fence this weekend I bet. Yet it is supposed to rain. I have 72 feet of straight fence to build with regard to the code enforcement's concern of nussance. If I can afford it, it will be eight feet tall.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It makes me nuts when i hear stuff like that. Some asshole's with nothing better to do than make someone else's life miserable.

greymouser7

Reaction score
I bought 10 twelve feet posts and asked with eagerness many of the employees at Lowes allot of questions. There is a sale next weekend.
The posts were {($23.XX X 10) X 10% military discount}+{($23.XX X 10) X 10% military discount}X 7% taxes. For some reason my buddy Zac would not let me pay him gas money. That really itches me, but he is my friend and the best I can do is litter his ride with cash later when he is not looking.

I bought 5 gallons of thompsons water seal ($70), 5 gallons of olympic sealant ($175)& stain for the pickets, a steel post hole digger($49).

Twelve feet is allot- am digging 3+feet holes, placing the posts down into the holes and pouring three 50 pound sacks of cement mix into the holes with the posts. The pickets are 6 feet high (per code) and a criss-cross lattice goes over the top to impede viewing over the fence. The top of the buried posts will be crowned with copper pyramids.

Never thought that this would be required for my Aspen build. Am still waiting on Dan Dvorak. I call him and he hasn't seemed to have done anything-he told me to call him and then tells me not to micro manage him...

Cement bags drop down to $1.79 on Memorial weekend sale, and the Pickets drop down to four for $5. ($1.25)-I need 157 of them to cover the 72 feet of rear fence. I hope that ten gallons of sealant covers all of them and the three support boards between each buried post. Wish me financial luck and good weather.

compubert

Reaction score
Yes.
We know they're gems as opposed to your blobmobile driving neighbors who think they're eyesore's.
I thought inbreeding was illegal......
APPARENTLY it is mandatory in my neighborhood. Top that with the local ordinance that states you cant work on a car in your driveway if the repair takes more than 8 hrs. HELL, getting old here - takes me nearly that to rotate 4 tires now... especially on canes or walker... ugh. Hope you appease the morons soon... :)

Actually that was for Grey, Capt. . not you sorry...

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
GreyMouser, i get bogus out of state license plates for my project cars. Local town employees cant check for valid insurance or out of state registrations.........

greymouser7

Reaction score
MiradaMegacab, so do you think some 2014 stickered Texas (home residency) plates would do the trick? Am worried about the stickers.

They will get fresh tarps and eventually cloth covers on next pay check. I love the idea-thanks for the cleverness!!

the local ordinance that states you cant work on a car in your driveway if the repair takes more than 8 hrs..

That is almost exactly the rule here it is derived from the "International Property code" which any city can pull up legal verbage that gets them what they want to cut and paste into their city ordinances.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I wouldn't use any tags that have outdated stickers .
I simply use Maryland tags.
Your problem is the inspector already has opened a case with violations.
I can recommend that after you comply with the ordinance, then you can pick up some out of state tags and drop the insurance.
As far as installing ProGram main caps, they require maching to match the new block and line boring.

Volare4life

Reaction score
why program parts, nothing for nothing, but i hear ( and have a set of BB valve covers as proof) that their quality, is horrible at best, especially rocker arms and associated parts, just my .02

greymouser7

Reaction score
why program parts, nothing for nothing, but i hear ( and have a set of BB valve covers as proof) that their quality, is horrible at best, especially rocker arms and associated parts, just my .02

Pro-gram makes aftermarket main caps (there might be someone else as well, but I have never found any) their caps should be close enough that the machinist's align hone would correct any minute discrepancies. Main caps are replaced on high output race motors, and there isn't any more X-blocks, 340 reproduction, R1 or R3 blocks made any more. Pro-gram main caps, a GOOD stud girdle, main cap studs, and a crank scraper would be the most ideal bottom end equipment on a high out put small block. High volume pump if you actually modded the oil passages in the block and were planning to run real high rpm continuously-like circle track motors. All that is beyond this build as some guy named 'Aquino' on eBay ripped me off on an R3 block years ago. With the wife not working and a job search due in 3 years, my dreams of building an all out SBM with a 3.79" crank are extinguished.

Last edited:

Volare4life

Reaction score
why no big block ? hell keep your chin up, and eventually you'll come across a good deal, check out searchtempest.com it searchs ALL craigslist nationwide and ebay as well, just sayin, and mis-spell words, volar is just as good as aspin lol

Back