Hi guys! New member, first post! A couple of 318 in an M-body questions :)

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Sorry to keep bumping my own posts.. but I am coming across SOO MUCH INFORMATION!!

I am thinking, I am going to check out a local yard around here and try get a GM 4-pin HEI ignition module/coil/bracket out of a pickup/van. If that fails, likely just a new E-core coil and 4 pin ICM from the parts store. Seems like a solid way to do it. Wish I found this first! LOL My next Chrysler, I'll be prop at doing it up right ;).

NoCar340

Reaction score
If you already have the Mopar-style kit, why would you suddenly decide to go with the GM setup? Despite what's been written online about it, not all is wine & roses with GM's HEI and if you dig around a little on this site you'll find a post I wrote detailing as to why that's the case. Stick with what you've got, avoid the failure-prone, low-performing HEI, and just do it right the first time. Besides, all the same wiring caveats still apply, so why change direction now?

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
^^ LOL. From my readings of many different Mopar car and truck sites it would seem the Mopar ecu box is the failure prone, low performing non HEI ignition system. I will read your thread, and make a better analysis of this :). I am not changing direction because of the wiring you have told me about, I was just looking at a more reliable, better performing ignition system. Little better power and mileage supposedly follows.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Ok ok, I believe you.. ;) I very much trust what you have to say, and after reading your post on the Mopar ECU vs. GM HEI I guess what you say is true.

Wiring is not a fear of mine, this is just over my head because I do not have an adequate wiring diagram lol. But then, anyone would be stupid to jump in to wiring without a diagram. If you could pretty please hopefully scan those articles you have NoCar340, I was hoping to get the swap done this weekend.

I will start with the intake manifold and carb, as I know right now it will still idle pretty smooth even with the 6280's 4 pin connector unhooked. I can then start it and get a baseline on the carb and then tackle the wiring and distributor.

For the record, I was only considering the GM HEI because it seemed like it was extremely reliable, gave hot spark, and was cheap/easy to replace/diagnose if the problem arose. ;) No hard feelings? I'm new lol.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Gah. Computer changeout at work; new one is Win8.1. What a nightmare... figuring out the scanning bits, though, so I can get this information to you.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
New computer software with old hardware (ie. scanners or what have-you) SUCKS!! LOL. Now new stuff is PnP and I love that about new computers and hardware.

plug it in, or wifi, and its ready to go in a near instant.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
This thing was/is a complete sludge monster!!! I SWEAR IT MUST HAVE HAD 5 OIL CHANGES FOR ITS 225K lifetime.... OMG I am going to flush it, but I am afraid to if everything just starts leaking afterwords. I could always run a thick diesel oil afterwards, that would probably deal with that nicely. Run a 15w40 or maybe even a 20w50..

2014-05-16175433_zps23e7ca61.jpg

2014-05-16175440_zpsa2fb9300.jpg

2014-05-16175447_zps66b5611e.jpg

Dunno why me brand new rotor did this? the old one was this way too..

2014-05-16153745_zpse337274e.jpg

2014-05-16153800_zps46659a90.jpg

72Dodge

Reaction score
You sure it was pushed all the way down on the post? Sometimes they seem like they are, but aren't.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
It would seem by the darkened areas on the 8 contacts that they are near the bottom of their contacts that it must have been pushed all the way on.

?? I honestly don't know.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Was it a new cap? If it was, soome of the spark plug contacts seem to have bits of metal on the sides of them, which to me indicate that the rotor was scraping material off the contacts, and perhaps the rotor may have been just up from all the way down.

Kostas

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Yeah it was a new cap and rotor last month. Those little flecks of metal are part of the contacts "cast" i guess. They were there when I got it.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I have the ESA article scanned, which is actually a tutorial on upgrading the whole system, not just the distributor. I have it in a .zip file and am waiting to hear back from the good Captain regarding it. There are copyright laws involved; I can't just go putting it up on the internet and not expect repercussions. Ideally, I'd like to see it posted in the fuel/ignition area as a locked sticky to which current and newbies can refer. One of the pages is a little muddy in one corner; I was busier than a one-armed fiddler with the crabs on Friday and was sneaking scans in between bills and invoices, all while trying to figure out Windows H8.1 (the H is not a type, I assure you :icon_biggrin: ). I will re-scan that page this week. The other six pages came out pretty well. It's not that long of an article; the ads are all in place as-printed. I scanned them at high resolution and then cropped and clarified them in a photo editing program. Other than part of Page 3 they look pretty good.

When Captastic gets back to me, I'll forward the .zip file to him. Hopefully he can get the necessary permissions to put them on the site and sticky the article.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Got an e-mail from the Capt. He'll get on it tomorrow; he's out of town until tomorrow.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yes....I made it back.....the rumors are false
I did not have an unfortunate paddleboat accident.
Fire at will and I will contact the appropriate people.

I cheated and stayed up north an extra day....

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I have the ESA article scanned, which is actually a tutorial on upgrading the whole system, not just the distributor. I have it in a .zip file and am waiting to hear back from the good Captain regarding it. There are copyright laws involved; I can't just go putting it up on the internet and not expect repercussions. Ideally, I'd like to see it posted in the fuel/ignition area as a locked sticky to which current and newbies can refer. One of the pages is a little muddy in one corner; I was busier than a one-armed fiddler with the crabs on Friday and was sneaking scans in between bills and invoices, all while trying to figure out Windows H8.1 (the H is not a type, I assure you :icon_biggrin: ). I will re-scan that page this week. The other six pages came out pretty well. It's not that long of an article; the ads are all in place as-printed. I scanned them at high resolution and then cropped and clarified them in a photo editing program. Other than part of Page 3 they look pretty good.

When Captastic gets back to me, I'll forward the .zip file to him. Hopefully he can get the necessary permissions to put them on the site and sticky the article.

if they won't let you publicly post it, I think you can still share it privately.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
if they won't let you publicly post it, I think you can still share it privately.

Once I get the zip I'll see if I can get permission.
If not....then yes it could be a private affair.
It would be better to have it here as a sticky for all to see like NoCar said....

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Had to get some various plugs, and what not as the Eddie had some other various ports and didn't come with plugs. It also did not come with the large front nipple for the larger hose there... Soooo what to do? Noway the old one is coming out lol. Is it a certain pipe thread that I can ask for? Take the manifold down to the hydraulic shop and ask them to match one in there? lol

2014-05-20163004_zpsbd795a8f.gif

2014-05-20163908_zps404ce78f.gif

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Had to get some various plugs, and what not as the Eddie had some other various ports and didn't come with plugs. It also did not come with the large front nipple for the larger hose there... Soooo what to do? Noway the old one is coming out lol. Is it a certain pipe thread that I can ask for? Take the manifold down to the hydraulic shop and ask them to match one in there? lol

2014-05-20163004_zpsbd795a8f.gif

2014-05-20163908_zps404ce78f.gif

if you can get it down to a hardware store you should be able to match it up to a short length of plumbing pipe

Back