My Big Block Volare Wagon Project

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I am glad the ropes held..I would have been squeezing my butt cheeks real tight watching that body drop..:ky:

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
The main rope was a good sized strong one that could probably have held it on its own. I used the lighter rope as backup. There is no weight to the car. I could pick the front end up myself without the hoist.

Im just glad that part is over with...Now the fun part of getting it hooked up and everything working. May have to wait till next spring though. I live about an hours drive away from where its parked. Time to kick back and let the cold weather come in

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
The main rope was a good sized strong one that could probably have held it on its own. I used the lighter rope as backup. There is no weight to the car. I could pick the front end up myself without the hoist.

Im just glad that part is over with...Now the fun part of getting it hooked up and everything working. May have to wait till next spring though. I live about an hours drive away from where its parked. Time to kick back and let the cold weather come in
If you ever meet MeMike ask him where he got the tent/garage. Thay way you could keep it at your place out of the weather.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
I do have it in one of those tent/garage things. And it helps a lot to keep it in there. But where Im renting in town there is no room for it. We got a small house and they are pretty strict on what goes on too, which I like since it keeps these places clean.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Got a steering column setup to clear my hedman header. The header still rubs a bit on the firewall but it wont take much to fix that.

09052011 044 (Small).jpg

09052011 043 (Small).jpg

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Im still debating on rear end gear. I got both a 3.55 and a 2.94. The 3.55 is used with about 200k miles on it. I dont really have the cash to buy new gears at the moment and I got a brand new Suregrip I acquired a couple years ago. Im not wanting all out power. Id love to be able to make a few 100-200 mile trips around here and have some form of economy to be able to drive this thing as much as I want. Not just the occasional weekend when I can afford gas. I kept the cam almost stock, headers, factory high stall converter. Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks
Wade

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I would keep it a 440 cruiser...keep that 2.94 high gear and make those trips...I bet you will still be able to smoke the tires real easy. Gas prices aren't going down any time soon is the other reason.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Thanks. That does still sound good to me. Dont get me wrong, Id love to have some 3.91's or 4.10's but that would keep it parked in the driveway too much I think.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
The clearance is good. I mounted up my 7 bladed clutch fan and the spacing was perfect. Now just gotta dig my shroud out and try it on. The price on the 73 Dodge truck with big block was a little cheaper than the 87. I went through the catalog to find it. My overflow hose comes out on the wrong side but its no biggie to fix. All I had to do was drill a couple holes in the radiator flange to mount it at the right height.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Just a few more pics. The 440 sits in there good. It kind of looks small in there compared to some other big block rides.

wgnl 006 (Small).jpg

wgnl 008 (Small).jpg

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
:thumbsup: That's cool!

I wish I did the big block install years ago. I got too much money in small block parts now to convert to a big block. Good luck on your project.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
It came together nicer than I thought under the hood. I can imagine many of people telling me stories of how somebody in their family had one just like it with the original 440 back in the day... I think it will make a nice cruiser:headbang:

crayzcuda

Reaction score
Looking mighty fine! That's going to be one wicked wagon!

83Imp

Reaction score
Can't wait until I can free up the funds to do this to the Imperial... Nice work WM, especially "doin it in the driveway" so to speak.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Yeah its a little harder not having a garage but Im still chugging away on it. Got the wiring harness all wrapped up and ready to go. Still got some small pieces to purchase before I fire it up.

Back