Off season Aspen projects have begun

Aspen500

Reaction score
I am going to cover the plastic with something. You are right, would be all but impossible to cover with carpet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've decided to ditch the plastic hinge covers and make new ones from panel board that go all the way to the rear seat. Those will support the sides of the under package tray panel (that I have to make yet) and also hold a carpet panel on the back of the rear seat area (when I make one).
Got a little farther this afternoon. Mostly it was looking, thinking, planning, etc...
Turns out I don't need to have any fastening method for the side panels. When they're installed, they aren't going anywhere. Got lucky and they fit tight, the upper edge is against the wiring channel. Still may put Velcro on the horizontal part where it meets the trunk floor though, just to be sure.
DSC00196.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Other than screwing up the wedge cut where the carpet has to bend at the angle, the trunk side panels turned out decent. A little tweaking will fix the boo-boo. Just sitting in there and not secured yet but it's getting there. The under deck panel is next on the agenda. In theory, that should be fairly simple but, you know how theories are...........
DSC00217.JPG
:D

Aspen500

Reaction score
Another step more or less done, the panel under the rear deck.
DSC00222.JPG
DSC00225.JPG
Have to come up with some sort of trim where the carpet meets the weather seal channel yet. I've a couple ideas in my head and hoping one of them will be feasible to do.
Other than securing them all, mostly using Velcro probably, it's getting closer to finished. Velcro should help hold the floor carpet flat along the edges too, instead of all wavy. They all stay in place pretty well with just friction but still need something more.

On the agenda yet is finding a donut spare, which I have a carpet cover for. A full size won't fit (too wide). I've got a scissors jack from who knows what car, that is cleaned up and painted, along with a urethane pad attached to the contact point, to go in also. Probably never need a spare but, just in case......;)

Duke5A

Reaction score
Let me think about, but you could probably have my spare. Looks like it's never been mounted and it's totally the wrong size now that I'm running larger tires.

That really looks good. Late model factory quality.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Coming up with a spare shouldn't be too hard, famous last words:p. Mid 2000's Chrysler mini-vans and older Crown Vic's have the same bolt circle and center bore size. I'm hoping for CV (and if I'm lucky, one with an alloy wheeled donut spare) mainly because they're in the trunk and, if never used, will be like brand new. Mini-vans, hanging underneath,,,,,,,,,,most likely all rusted to heck.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Came up with a simple solution to cover the bare carpet edge and metal showing under the weather seal. Have most of a roll of fender welting left that I bought to mount the hood scoop. Trimmed half the "flap" off and then used 3M Trim Tape to attach it to the edge. Turned out fairly decent.

All that's left, aside from securing all the new panels better is, the underside of the deck lid. Not sure yet but, I think that's going to be the toughest part to do. That's a lie. I DO know it's going to be the toughest.:D

Before and after:
DSC00222.JPG
DSC00227.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Stood in the garage and stared at the underside of the deck lid for what seems like forever and, still drawing a blank on how to cover it. If it wasn't so gosh darnit lumpy and contoured................ Something will come to me eventually. There HAS to be a way! It's no longer a project, it's a quest.:eek:

Suggestions, thoughts and ideas are always welcome!:cool:

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Gave up on the deck lid trim panel for now. Still not a clue how to proceed with that one. One of those "walk away from it" deals and maybe the answer will come to me.
Since I had the car backed out earlier, made sure to park it farther from the wall so the right door can open all the way. Headed out there now to see about installing the seat track cover I got a couple three months ago, which requires unbolting the seat from the floor.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got the right side seat track cover put on. Tried to get decent pics but it's like the light gets sucked up no matter where I put it. My old FujiFilm camera (with a flash) bit the dust after ONLY 18 years and the video camera has no light source. that's my story and I'm sticking to it:D

Dark before and after. Kind of film noir, ain't it? lol Doesn't help any that half my garage lights don't work or are really dim. They're on "the never ending to-do list".
DSC00248.JPG
DSC00251.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Installed the NOS HVAC control panel I got off Ebay today. The white lettering looks so much better than the yellowed lettering on the old one. Added bonus, I needed a new blower switch anyways and the vacuum switch leaked on MAX A/C and DEF so, killed 3 birds with one stone as they say. No more wiggling the switch to get high speed on the fan.

Also pulled the console lid button out and took it apart. I had to almost hit the button with a hammer to get it to work most times. Cleaned it out and lubed it up with Aero-Kroil. The stainless bezel needed a fine round file to the opening too. It worked fine until I put that piece back on. Now it seems to be working just fine. Slight thumb pressure and it unlatches. How long it works good, guess we'll see.

Old vs new:
DSC00260.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
New Monroe shocks came today to replace the KYB's. Won't know until I put them on whether they're better, same or worse but,,,,,,,,I can push the pistons in without too much force and they don't come shooting back out all the way in 2 seconds like the KYB's. They come back out of course but really slow. I remember having a hell of a time compressing the KYB's (front ones anyways) to get them in and they'd extend before I could get the shock in place. In theory, the Monroe's should be less stiff and will get rid of the overly stiff/harsh ride mentioned in the BB Imperial thread, which kind of got hijacked from it's topic.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got the new shocks installed. Soon as weather permits, I'll be able to see how much difference they make. Made in USA and no painting needed, they come black already. Gloss black instead of semi-gloss but, close enough.
I think they should help a lot. Taking the KYB's out of the front, I ended up putting a rag over the t-bar and using a long pry bar on the shock body. Rears don't need compressed to change so those went easy.
It takes almost all my weight to compress the KYB's. Way too much nitrogen pressure. Almost like trying to compress an air shock with 100 psi of air in them. DANG!
At any rate, I can push on the bumpers and bounce the car a good 2-3" vs the 1/2-1" with the KYB's. My always hurting back will thank me for the less harsh ride, I hope.

DCAspen

Reaction score
I have KYBs on my 70 340 Dart Swinger and really like them,I have a set for my 80' Aspen project and I'm wondering if I should get something else,You can be my test mule so lets hope the rain holds off in Wisconson and get that 79 out for a ride.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not sure if I've ever been called a mule before, maybe a certain other mule like animal though, lol:D

I don't think the KYB shocks are bad, provided the valving is matched to the car. In the case of the F-body ones, when the same front p/n is listed for a '79 Aspen and a '75 Royal Monaco 440 for example, and rear p/n for a '77-'78 Monaco (among others),,,,,,not so much. The KYB Excel-G may have been a better choice over the Gas-Ad-Just, but they still list the same p/n for an Aspen as they do for much bigger and heavier cars. I suppose it all comes down to what kind of use the car will be getting,,,,,,,and the condition of the owners back, lol. That's the main reason I'm looking for a smoother ride. My back isn't what it used to be, unfortunately. :(

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'd like to raise up the rear of OY a bit - it looks a little droopy. I was thinking that KYB's might accomplish this. I don't think I'd want them on the front if it makes the ride too stiff, but being as OY is a wagon, they might be good on the back end. Thoughts/Ideas?
Believe it or not, OY still has all the original shocks on it, front and rear and needless to say, they are shot. I almost lost control last year trying to avoid a deer :eek:, and haven't wanted to drive it much since because of that (and because the interior is still scattered all over the garage and basement). :rolleyes:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I haven't checked if the height changed. Need to roll the car to get the suspension neutralized, especially the front. I took measurements before and it was 26 1/2" front, 29" rear, floor to wheel lip. As much pressure as the KYB's have, it almost has to be at least slightly lower, in my mind anyways.

Mule with a bad back, lol. I don't know a single "experienced" auto tech that doesn't have a bad back to some extent. By experienced I mean those that have doing it professionally for 25 or 30 years. It's a hazard of the job I guess. I'd give almost anything to have my back not hurt all the time, and knees, and shoulders, and neck, and feet, and legs, and.................Dang, I'm shot and falling apart.:eek: As you unfortunately know, XfbodyX, it could be a lot worse so I really shouldn't complain.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've got a hafe dozen things wrong with my back, arthritis in knee's and ankles and one hip along with neuropathy in my feet and legs. There are days it hurts just to get my feet to the floor in the morning. Its something you don't think of in your twentys or thirtys busting you butt. I filed for disability and seven weeks later I got my first check. Doctors say I should have gotten off my feet ten years earlier.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Getting old is fun!:confused: I've been working with older folks for almost 40 years now, and am constantly reminded of how lucky I am to be able to get around as well as I do, and to think as clearly too! So, the arthritis in my knees doesn't seem so bad in comparison. ;)

Back