Driving Requires Attention

Aspen500

Reaction score
Remind me to never drive in Canada,,,,,,,,,,or Florida and Georgia. those people are insane down there. Drive without a clue it seems. Never again.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Remind me to never drive in Canada,,,,,,,,,,or Florida and Georgia. those people are insane down there. Drive without a clue it seems. Never again.

It's mostly Hogtown (Toronto) around me. Up north where my trailer is there's hardly an idiot to be found. Even the young kids are courteous.
--- Post updated ---
The latest.
Someone decided a drive thru needed to be added to my local Tim Horton's.

Unreal.

20160503_125207-1.jpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Sometimes those buildings are hard to miss when they start moving.
Some 'poll' says 95% of Chinese want self driving cars.
It's only 20yrs before there will no more human driving here.

So, the first 100 and so yrs we could drive but now humans are too stupid.

kkritsilas

Reaction score

I learned how to drive in Montreal. Drivers in Montreal are amongst the fastest in Canada, and they drive fast even in very dense traffic. A lot of people think that driving in Montreal is dangerous; it isn't. Speed does not kill people (think of it this way, if all the cars on the road are traveling at 80 mph, and nobody does anything dumb, there are no accidents), stupidity behind the wheel does. Montreal drivers react well in almost all situations; there is no doubt that the other Montreal driver will let you in, they won't, so you deal with that and wait your turn. Problem with Toronto drivers, and to a lesser extent, the drivers in Calgary, is that the drivers are not predictable, so uncertainty rules, and accidents happen more often. In Montreal, there is no courtesy, so nobody expects it. In Toronto/Calgary, sometimes there is courtesy, sometimes there isn't, no way to predict it, and so, more accidents. Also, the number of people on cellphones in Montreal is far lower than it is in Toronto or Calgary, because you really do need to pay attention to what is going on around you in Montreal.

A few years back, I was living in Winnipeg, and was dating a girl there. I flew back to Montreal for my birthday celebration with some friends, and she flew into Montreal a few days later to compete in a ballroom dance meet. I went to pick her up at the airport, and as we are driving back, as we pull onto one of the city's main expressways, she starts yelling at me to slow down. I wanted to start laughing, but didn't as I liked her. I asked what the problem was. She said that I was 30 Km/H ((20 mph, or 110 Km/H (66 mph_ in an 80Km/H (47 mph) limit expressway) over the speed limit , and that it was dangerous. I said if you really want me to, I can slow down, but you and the driver behind me are going to get to know each other really quickly. She looks behind at the other car, and goes real quiet. She whispers that the guy behind me is only about 20-25 feet behind. I said yes, and if we keep moving at this speed, and he keeps moving at this speed, there won't be a problem. If I slow down we die. She said this is insane. I told her to look around, and sure enough, everybody is doing about the same speed, and the cars are separated by about the same distance. She couldn't understand any of this. I basically told her that I learned to drive here, and this is the way it has always been.

Justwondering

Reaction score
And on my way home from picking up the car from the mechanic, I was doing 65 til I got to the top of the hill and hit the brakes.
Double yellow line - no passing.
Two lane road.
Tractor pulling a hay bailer with an orange triangle placard on the back.
20 mph for the next 6 miles til he turns off.
Window is down, sun is shining, and just me and the tractor on the road.... sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy the ride.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Around here we have crazies who will pass two cars in front of them, and then the tractor, all of this on a double line.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
If anyone watched the last Talladega race, that's the 401 here.
Everyone bunched in a pack, bumping and grinding.
Now you can have a large lead on the pack or cruise way back of the pack, because there's no prize for first place.

I prefer to hook up with a couple of guys who's going just a little quicker than me and out of the pack on the long 401 drives.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I could not believe it took out 30+ cars and yet half made it back in thanks to that wonder of wonder - tape!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Wow, the guy in the mini-van/SUV was a real rocket scientist right there, making a left hand turn from the right lane, across two lanes, no turn signal on (seems to come on after the impact). What is wrong with these people.

Drivers in Montreal drive fast, but there is a self correcting mechanism there; bad drivers don't live very long.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Wow, the guy in the mini-van/SUV was a real rocket scientist right there, making a left hand turn from the right lane, across two lanes, no turn signal on (seems to come on after the impact)/ What is wrong with these people.

Drivers in Montreal drive fast, but there is a self correcting mechanism there; bad drivers don't live very long.

We seem to have that same correction system here too.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I kind of see two reasons for that "accident". One, the moron in the minivan turning left from the right lane and with no signal, AND the other car that was speeding. Take either one out of the equation and the incident wouldn't have been.

Back