Heavy Metal Hell raiser

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
lol. its raining real hard today gonna see what I can do..probrably gonna be a good day to work out those fenders of yours

greymouser7

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of pics,
I am hoping Rich can take some pictures tomorrow of our progress.

We have been getting rained out afternoons and all day yesterday.

After getting my paycheck, driving around paying the bills, loans, groceries, and resolving some issues at home, I headed over to Rich's house and we went over our agenda, with some Mopar smack talk. Finally I got to work & finished grinding & sanding the Volare Road Runner's 8 1/4 rear axle. After completion, I laid down some Industrial Rattle Can Black Rustoleum enamel paint all over the axle & drums. We removed the rear bumper and all of the tires. I sprayed the IRCBR over a manual steering box for Rich to install while I am at work. Rich chemically paint-stripped and sanded the passenger rear quarter. This car has been to the body shop before. Maroon is what nocar340 & I referred to, but Sunfire Red Metallic was the color when I got it (stock color), but under that is the most amazing metallic METALLIC green, oh and lots & lots of bondo... The future small block will be different: manual steering w/ A/C, headers & dual quads (twin holley 390's)-at .040 over, a 360 becomes 367 and 6.0 liters. Hopefully not too much power for my cast iron O/D 833 trans. For awhile, this car will be all gloss black.

Point of interest, we dug the oil-mud caked on the axle only to find a ?fill-hole? completely opened to the mud & elements. We will take the cover and show you more pics, whenever we get more pics.

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
More

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

photo_001.jpg

photo_002.jpg

photo_003.jpg

photo_004.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
That red paint on the car is...a pain.. its gotta come off the welds ground down and OSPHO's tomorrow. Almost half the car is ready for paint..

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Is that the factory and standard digital Radio that came in that car? Looks better then mine. Makes me want to change out mine with one like that.

Last edited:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Looks great man....and I know that spot well.
Two days after I got my Caravelle I had it parked on the street overnight and some clown backed into the exact same spot.
It brings it all back seeing that indent you have to sand in on the wheel well lip
View attachment 7380

And I had to pop the side panel to spoon in the crease again.
Well done my friend.....looks great.

There are a lot of people who do not realize just how hard a job like that is to do. If it isn't perfect it will show once painted. You did a good job with it. Looks good. :thumbsup:

greymouser7

Reaction score
'Jim' sold me the trunk pan, filler neck, straps-everything needed to convert my early gas tank to the later 77'-89 gas tank. Just needed the fuel level piece which I found in my horde today. You can't slap the smile off my face because I am so damn excited. This car is going to be real sharp. ( thanks everyone for all of the help and encouragement!!!!!!!) these are the $20 gas tanks I found on eBay.

photo_001.jpg

photo_002.jpg

photo_003.jpg

greymouser7

Reaction score
Inside the Volare Road Runner's 8 1/4 rear axle:

I was worried about the open oil-mud hole letting crap get inside the differential case.

Can Any of the newbies tell me what is special inside here?

The axle came from a E-58 360/727 vehicle.

photo_002.jpg

photo_003.jpg

Back