Modoba

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Started installing new Dougs 453 headers today. I'll let you all know how they fit.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Headers are in. plenty of room. One issue though is that I had to slightly move the factory tranny lines for clearance. This involved bending the lines and modifying the bracket that holds them to the bell housing. Not a big deal, but for what these cost, I shouldn't have to do that. Another thing worth mentioning.... Looks to be plenty of room for the 904 and 727. I have to re-do the exhaust because it won't fit. Much easier spark plug access, and more clearance to the brake booster. You must use the mini mopar starter which I already had. Easy access to all the header bolts. I could get a socket or box end wrench on each one, didn't have to use the open end like my old headers. I will post pics tomorrow p.m. I think these are worth the money. They give me about 1.5-2" ground clearance over the old ones.

BHA43

Reaction score
Could you measure from the center line of the ex ports to the bottom of the headers?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
dougs headers

some pics and measurements. The distance from exhaust centerline to lowest part of header is 16"

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Some may remember when I started this thread, that I had tacked up a stainless y pipe for the exhaust. 2.5 into 3". I've been running an older used exhaust with turbos that dumped in front of the axle. That's all gone now and I had to cut up the y pipe again to fit with the new headers. I was going to use a tranverse muffler behind the gas tank, but have decided to run a single 3" flowmaster delta 50 muffler with 3" stainless tailpipe out the back. I have the tailpipe tacked together and will post pics soon and some video when its all installed.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Exhaust is in, but have to take it to a shop to weld the tailpipe to the muffler. Sounds Great, quieter inside. May be down on power though. I'm going to put a pressure gauge nipple in the y collector to check for excessive back pressure. If the pressure is good, I'll have to work on re-tuning the carb.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I could only get the 1st 22 seconds of the video to play ("Fast, reliable Frontier DSL",,,,,,,excuse me while I'm, bent over laughing..) BUT what did play, sounds excellent!:icon_thumright:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Did a pressure test on the exhaust, and just as I thought, too much back pressure at WOT 5500 rpm measure 3.5 psi. Guess my "flowmaster is not a master of flow.lol. The tweaking continues.....

tim berry

Reaction score
troy sounds realy nice but I have a question ,at wot what would be acceptable 0 psi?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I read in a mopar muscle article that 0-2 is considered a free flowing exhaust. It hit about 2 psi at 4000 rpm and keeps climbing. It's enough that I felt it right away, and the numbers all agree with my first impressions. It has a harder time accelerating after 4500 rpm. Before it would climb to 6000 if I wanted to with no trouble. I even consulted with Flowmaster tech. on my proposed set-up, and he said the delta 50 would be perfect.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Thanks. The 14.3 was it's first run. Best so far is 13.7 @ 99.6 mph

Back