Off season Aspen projects have begun

Projects & Restorations

1. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

Try that race gas additive it is supposed to work great with regular unleaded.

2. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

I have been eyeing that stuff up. :cool:

3. Aspen500

Think I finally figured out a spark plug that's a heat range colder than an NGK XR5 (or Champion J12YC.) They don't make it easy to do that. Ended up about the only plug I came up with is an NGK BR6S. It's a heat range colder than the XR5's in there now. All the other plug manufacturer's I looked at didn't make a plug that was colder and that would fit. I looked at their heat range chart, got the range number and then searched for a plug, and came up zip on all but NGK so,,,,,,,,,,,,,NGK it is I guess. The BR6S is the same 14mm thread and 1.25mm pitch, same .380" reach and same hex size. Funnily enough, that plug is for, among other makes engines, the '48-'68 Chrysler 230 cid flathead six. Whod'a thunk it?
    Also got some 110 race fuel coming. One of the guys at Advance Auto Parts next door to work said he was going to Oshkosh this weekend and passes right by a station that sells 110, and if I wanted him to pick some up for me to just say the word. I said "word" lol!

Then all I need to do is change the plugs. Driver's side, not a big deal. Passenger side,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,a picture is worth a thousand words.:D The biggest trick is getting the passenger side access panel off without scratching anything. It must come off or no spark plugs, lol.

DSC00446.JPG
    DSC00445.JPG

4. Aspen500

Changed the plugs and hope they work because I'm never changing the passenger side plugs ever again.:D I must be getting old:confused:

There's a visible difference between the old and new as far as the insulator length. If there weren't clouds topping at 40,000 and rumbles of thunder in the distance, I'd take the car out for a ride and also fill up with fresh gas. It'll have to wait.:(
    DSC00448.JPG

5. Aspen500

Got the car out this morning and took it for a ride. Topped the tank off (9.5gal) with fresh premium and drove to a hill where it always pinged, even when it was 40 degrees out. It goes from 1,100 feet to 1,600 and back to 1,100 in a about a mile or less so it's steep. Speed limit is 35 so it also puts the engine under a big load. Air this morning is ping inducing, already being 78, both temp AND humidity. Engine up to full temp (center of the gauge), A/C cranked leaving a trail of condensate, 35 mph in drive and,,,,,,,,,,,,,not a peep. Cautious optimism is running rampant:D Preliminary results are good.

The engine seems to run better and the exhaust sounds smoother somehow with the different plugs. Not sure yet if it's only my imagination though.

Duke5A and 7T8 Custom like this.
  6. Justwondering

Justwondering Well-Known Member

:) Happy for your potential solution!!

I thought of you this morning....as I was again left stranded by the golf cart.
    I also have a brown tipped spark plug (only one and very easy to check).

Plenty of fuel in the tank but dry in the carb..... mess with the fuel lines (and I have a MAGNITUDE fewer than you do...lol)... and it starts again.

Got back to the house and checked the lines again and the return line port from the carb just came out of the spacer housing.

So I'm guessing a little JBWeld and a new fuel filter are in my future.

I'm going to ask you to share a little of your good karma so I can call this project intrusion done and get back to the Chrysler 5A.

JW

7. Aspen500

Good karma has been sent!

Oh, by the way, thanks for sending your hot, humid Texas weather up here. :p