Off season Aspen projects have begun

Projects & Restorations

1. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

You are correct. As with many things, in the long run it costs less to spend more to begin with.

Tracking shows the carb should be waiting by the door when I get home Thursday. Like Christmas in April, lol.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. Aspen500

New carb was waiting when I pulled in the driveway this evening. I forgot that a 4150 style double pumper has the fuel inlets an inch farther apart than a 4160 style carb so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,correct fuel inlet line is on it's way. Will need to modify the throttle/ kick down cable bracket a bit also. It almost fits but not quite. A little trimming and tweaking, and it should work just fine. At least that's the theory I'm working from right now.

Looks good sitting on the intake though.
    DSC00525.JPG

SuicideRider likes this.
  3. Aspen500

Got the throttle bracket modified to fit the new carb. Then found the bracket I had made that goes to the right rear carb stud to stablilize the throttle bracket didn't fit. The secondary pump arm hits it so,,,,,,,,,,,,,modified that piece also. At the same time I broke out the Eastwood gold cad kit I've had for eons (and all 3 cans are still good!) and used that. Previously, like in the photo, it was painted Detail Silver or Aluma-Blast or some such color. It obviously isn't real gold cad but as long as you don't look too close, it's a reasonable substitute. Same stuff that's on the wiper motor.

Waiting on the fuel feed line and thick base gasket (carb came with a paper thin gasket, no heat isolation) and then we'll be set, provided if it ever stops raining anyways. Parts should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

SuicideRider likes this.
  4. Aspen500

When I got the new fuel feed line, found that because on the new carb the fuel inlets are lower the fuel line hit the intake. Stacked a pair of 1/4" base gaskets as a check. Ordered a 1/2" phenolic spacer and waited,,,,,again. Carb bolted on and hooked up but then the air cleaner hit the hood. Pulled the 1/2" air cleaner spacer out and that solved the hood problem with about 1/4" clearance. Except the air filter base sits on top of the float adjusting screws and won't seat fully. Stacking 2 air horn gaskets was the ticket. Also had to make the fuel feed line another 3/4" longer to reach the inlet line. Made a new piece between the filter and carb. p.s. getting braided hose into the hose end without an assembly tool will test your patience, lol.

So,,,,,,,,at long last I fired it up this evening. The float levels are a bit high and I'll need to adjust the idle air screws yet BUT, first impression is HOLY you know what! INSTANT throttle response. Can't believe how quick the engine revs up. The old carb was never even close to the way this one is. When driving back into the garage, I hit the gas same as I always did before and the car just about leaped. Took me by surprise. Too beat to mess with it tonight anymore but already I'm thinking all the problems getting it actually on the engine so everything cleared, and the price tag, are going to be a fading memory real fast. Next step, after adjustments, shakedown run! Hopefully this weekend, weather permitting that is.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    SuicideRider and Duke5A like this.
  5. Aspen500

Oh, forgot. No photo's it didn't happen.:cool:
    DSC00527.JPG DSC00528.JPG

SuicideRider and Duke5A like this.
  6. Aspen500

Best laid plans...............Today that plan was get the floats and idle screws set and go for a little trip up the road and back then get on some yard work. Something that starts with the letter "r" has put a damper on those plans for the time being. It's the weekend so of COURSE it has to rain.:mad:

7. Aspen500

This morning I got the float levels adjusted on the new 850 and did a preliminary "by ear" idle screw tweak. Will need to fine tune with a vacuum gauge and tach hooked up, along with the A/F reading. Took it for a short ride and according to the A/F gauge, it looks like the main jetting is pretty darn close and I shouldn't need to mess with it. Excellent throttle response with zero hesitation on tip-in and nice driveability.
    Tromped on the throttle at about 35 mph in 2nd gear and ended up with tire smoke (oops). With the old carb, same scenario would just barely grease the tires. So far, it looks like this 850 double pumper is what the engine needed right from the get-go. Time will tell once I can drive it a bit more but, I think it'll be just fine.:)

SuicideRider likes this.
  8. Aspen500

All dialed in now, in theory. Had everything working good except the choke. Way too rich for the 1st minute or so after a cold start. Same symptom as a bad choke pull off diaphragm, if it had one that is. Adjusted the choke cap a couple notches clockwise to decrease spring tension, so the plate will open farther right away before the choke coil heats up. So far, seems to be OK. May go a hair leaner yet but time will tell.

SuicideRider likes this.