Blue Leather Seats Wanted

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
The last 5th Ave in the Portland area had a nice dark blue velour interior. Thats the same color as in your car. If a cloth interior came up, would you be as interested if it were in good, untorn condition?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
No because of the freight cost to get it to NZ, so best I get a leather interior, if we keep looking one will turn up. If we could slip the leather off the seats and package up we could send to NZ, to send the complete seat over would cost me a lot, its about $1000NZD per cubic meter so I would imagine front/rear seats completely boxed up could easily be 1 cubic meter. If we slipped the leather off we could USPS the leather skins to NZ.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
for the seat bases, I know that the passenger seat base changed at some point for the FMJ cars. I had to use the older base from my Volare's factory passenger front seat as the hump for the catalytic converter changed from the 5th Ave I got the interior from.

The FMJ cars used a bench seat, a bench with fold down center armrest, the 40/40 buckets, and the 60/40 combo. The seat shapes stayed pretty much the same except for the highback buckets. The covers should then be pretty interchangeable.

For other Chryslers, the Valiants had seats that were not similar. The B body cars, like the Satellites and 75-79 Cordoba had differently shaped seats as well, even the buckets were different, of an older style. The seatbacks of the bench seat with fold down armrest as was standard in the 75-79 Cordoba were of a similar shape to the 60/40 seatbacks but I don't know if they are the same. They did not recline as I recall.

The big C body Chryslers usually had the 50/50 front seat tho the later 70s B body, the R body cars started to use the FMJ 60/40 seats. They're even more rare than 5th Aves.

So, the FMJ variants are pretty much the ones that are going to slip on as if they were meant to.

1987-chrysler-fifth-avenue-base-sedan-4-door-52l-7.jpeg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
that photo of of the material ones that are for sale? If so how much are they, might be ok, look nice! Mine are sun damaged and they split open when you push on them. If those material ones are in good shape could be a good option, maybe I ruled them out to soon :)

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
No, its just a pic I found randomly online. They have a nice appearance, kind of six of one 1/2 a dozen of another. Leather is nice, too :)

Another random photo:

chrysler3.jpg

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
"Zen, And the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance"

A book about two guys and the opposing ways they go about things. One buys old and is always fixing things of all sorts. The other buys new and never has to give things another thought. One knows his bike pretty well, the other knows people who can fix his bike while he does other things. They both enjoy their lives.

It all depends on what makes life the way you want it.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
The velour in a 5th Ave is probably a little stronger material than the corded fabric in your Cordoba. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a ripped velour seat from a 5th Ave. The fabric in your car does that, the corded material splits apart like that after years of exposure.
The leather is, as I mentioned, a very healthy, thick hide. I have one tear in my drivers seat that I will repair. Leather is fairly repairable, I glue in a piece of vinyl on the back side of the leather to give it structure, cut out another piece of leather to fill in any missing bits, and then I smear over it a flexible leather 'bondo' that Leatherique sells. Redye it and you'd be hard pressed to see a repair had been made. As well, leather is maintainable. Keep it treated, keep it covered in dye and it will last scores of years.And its leather, it has its own tactile reward.
Life would be boring without decisions to make.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Well if we can keep an eye out for some it would be good, I am just to far away to be able to do much from here :( and have to rely on the good car people in the USA to help me out.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
It appears there is a red steering column in the photo of the dash cluster which would go with the red pinstripe on the black body. Personally, not a fan of red... but who cares what I think :)

It is yet another Mopar Craigslist Bargain of the Week. Knoxville.. that should be Tennessee, on the eastern half of the US.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
ya, but thats a lot of color changing and then there's vinyl involved which gets tricky trying to recolor so maybe the answer is more no than yes.
The blue shouldn't be that difficult to find, it seems to have been more popular than other colors. And a 53000 mile car is going to be near spotless... I don't get that vibe off that black car.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
the more I look at that car, the less I'm sure of the color. They say its red in the ad.Then the picture that has the engine shot, check the color of the interior in the picture that was included at the top. Its like it's the tan color that was new for 1988. That paint might be more like a eggplant maroon color. Thats a red steering column though, maybe they changed out the column? They get loose, people don't know how to fix them.. etc

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
ya that car looks like a low miler. The leather in that looks really nice.

I cannot seem to log-in to the Row 52 website to email the yard pullers. That web site offers to individuals the opportunity to be contacted by buyers of parts to have them go pull the parts. It seems I need to log in to place a request to the pullers. I'd like to get two rocker panels for my 5th Ave. If you're interested in seats, this blue 5th Ave might have what you want and I'd like those panels myself. If you can reach one of the parts pullers, I'd have some business for them as well. This is the ad, look down at the section for the parts pullers. I don't use FaceBook, I wonder if they switched to FaceBook completely for this service.
Row52

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a lot to that car I’d like to get my hands on – but that would be a 24 hour drive, round trip (not counting stops) or anything else.
BudW

Back