Off season Aspen projects have begun

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thanks! In reality, it's starting to show it's age under there a bit after 8 years. The photos make it look better than it really is to be honest.:eek:

Aspen500

Reaction score
My other 2 clamps plus the new wide-band A/F sensor came at some point today so, the plan is to do the resonators tomorrow. After mowing the whole lawn and trimming (1/2 acre lot, crap load of trees) for the first time this year, I feel like a wet noodle so it isn't getting done tonight for sure. Always makes you realize how out of shape you get over the winter. Later in the season I can do the whole lawn in one shot no problem. First few times, not so much:eek: Only planned on doing half today and no trimming but "might as well do the whole works while I'm at it"...................Sigh. I guess the upside is, it's all done.

I say that now but just watch. I'll get something to eat, get my second wind and end up in the garage under the car anyways.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My second wind never bothered to show up last evening so, got the resonators put on this afternoon. Worst part was cutting the pipes with the reciprocating saw, laying on the floor. It reminded me that I'm not 25 anymore, lol.

They're on and so far, seem to have done what I wanted them to. Took the sound level down a bit but more importantly, the crack/rap higher frequency sound was reduced a ton. Haven't been able to drive it down the road (off and on rain today) but with the garage door open I can tell a HUGE difference when reving it up. I'm sure the neighbors will notice the difference too.:D

Went to change the wide band sensor and discovered I ordered the wrong one.:confused: Harness is twice as long, terminals and connector are totally different. Thought for about 2 seconds on cutting the harnesses and splicing the old connector/pigtail to the new sensor but the type of wire used on O2 sensor harnesses isn't really suitable for splicing, at least reliably. Sigh................
DSC00436.JPG

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got a chance to take the car out for a little ride this evening and,,,,,,,,,the resonators were the ticket. The sound is awesome! Nice deep tone even on accel without the crack/rap high tones. With the window closed, big difference in interior noise also. Worth every dollar, ache and pain. I'm a happy camper.:)

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have before video, no after video yet. I deleted my You-Tube acct a few months ago (I have my reasons.........) so, not sure how I would post them here.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Discovered on Thursday when I had the car at work and came home with the A/C on (drove TO work with the heat on some), NOS parts may be unused originals but, they're still 40 years old. The NOS HVAC control I put in last year, leaks vacuum in MAX AC and OFF. Recirc still works, but that hiss gets irritating. Sigh...............:(

Discovered also, the car does not like what I figure is winter blend gas in the tank. Filled up back in the middle of April and the last tank full was the previous October, so I had half a tank of old winter blend with half a tank of fresh winter blend. Can you say spark knock? Any up hill stretch where you have to tip into the throttle and pingedy, pingedy. Then when I got home, shut the car off for about 10 minutes before putting it in the garage. Had to floor the throttle and crank, crank, crank before it started and you could smell the raw fuel. Carb boiled over and it's NEVER had that happen before, even at 90+ degrees much less the 72 it was yesterday afternoon. Guess the trick is to burn through it as soon as possible and get some summer blend in the tank along with some octane booster now that the only place you could get race fuel from the pump is just an empty building with a real estate sign out front.:mad: At 9-10 mpg, shouldn't take long,,,,,,,,,,unfortunately, lol.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I know there will be a small hiss noise as the Recirc door moves - but does it continue to hiss afterwards?
If so, it sounds like a bad vacuum motor, hose leak or hose disconnected (maybe).

Aspen500

Reaction score
The hiss is constant, depending on throttle opening and load of course. It's coming from the control button area. Recirc works but it could still be a leaking hose connection on the rear of the controls. Haven't pulled it out yet to investigate. A couple years ago MAX A/C (and OFF) made a really annoying loud high pitch whistle that would drive dogs insane. That was the recirc actuator. Thanks to our buddy Jim, a replacement took care of that problem.:cool:

If it's not one thing, it's another :D

Aspen500

Reaction score
I had a 440 that got 12-13 but then I turned it into a 500 and lost 2-3 mpg but gained a CRAP load of power! :) You always wonder, when you look at the size of the jets and passages in a carb, how that much fuel can go through it that fast. It almost seems to defy the laws of physics. :confused:

Way back in the mid '80's sometime, a buddy of mine had a '72 Imperial and that car averaged around 6 mpg, if you were easy on throttle, lol! Nothing wrong with the car, engine or tune (totally stock) it's just the way they were. How many guys does it take to remove the hood from one of those? Answer, 5. One on each corner and one to take the bolts out. I swear that thing weighed 200 lbs. Each wheel cover was 22 lbs or more of die cast (IIRC). When you look up "land yacht", there's a photo of one of those cars.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget the cast iron grills...
Those cars bigger cousins is the M1 Abrams.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think it's the other way around. The Imperial is the M1 Abrams bigger cousin:D Perfect car to go to The Love Shack in, since it's as big as a whale and seats about twenty, lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got out to the garage this evening and pulled the HVAC control out and, it wasn't a leaking hose. Swapped the push buttons for a spare I had that I HOPE is OK. The other spare had the same problem, leaks on MAX and OFF. I've got it written right on the control and now wonder why I hold onto it since it isn't any good? One piece of many that need to go in the scrap:eek: No sense hanging onto things that are broken or don't work, yet I do it anyways and always wonder why?

Thought about getting the car out this evening and seeing if it works good and also to just go for a ride, then looked at the sky to the west and thought better of that idea.:(

Aspen500

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to get the Aspen for it's 41st birthday this coming June 23rd. It's come a long way since it was a young lad of 7 when I bought it way back in January of '87.:D

XfbodyX

Reaction score
A hard hittin baller to drive that 500..... pic me, pic me!!!!!!!!

I can see 7 years of carbon going out the pipes through the tire smoke.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Brings a thought to mind, Id hate to see someone nab your car not knowing whats in it, it would get ugly quick.

I had a R/T stolen in Detroit and when I found it missing I told the cop id bet its with 3 blocks, yep first straight shot they hung it out and took the R/T and three parked cars to car heaven.

Maybe if my drunk dead brother wouldnt of left the keys in the ign. no one would of done the joy ride.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Auto theft is pretty much a non issue around here. Any that do happen always seem to be in a couple certain areas of the city that I don't even drive through, or go near for that matter.

Just remembered, the N-body ('96 Dakota) turns 25 this coming August 15th. Another one of those where does the time go things. It was barely 2 years old when I bought it in '98 with 48,000 miles. Now at 170,000, still going strong. Yes, it's had some cosmetic surgery, quite extensive cosmetic surgery to repair some severe cancer but the mechanicals and interior are pretty much untouched aside from regular maintenance. Runs perfect, uses MAYBE a quart of oil in 3,000 miles, everything works, interior is still nice and most important, it was paid for 20 years ago, lol. Actually, it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that I took out a loan to buy.:)
DSC00442.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Tuesday I drove the car to work. In the morning at 55 degrees, I didn't notice any spark knock. On the way home it was about 85 and every hill was ping, ping, ping. I still haven't got summer blend (yeah, I know), but it does have a bottle of octane booster in it. Last summer, even with summer blend and octane booster it pinged on hills but not quite as bad. I've decided to try one step colder on the plugs. May help, may not help. Worth a try though. Other option is take a 5 gallon gas can and trek the 30 miles over to Antigo for some 110 race fuel and add a gallon of that to every tankful. It was fine with that except on the hottest days and even then, it wa minor.
Pulled a plug for inspection. They look OK except they're dark brown. Not black, not wet, not sooty, just brown. I suspect it's from the previous race fuel and/or the octane booster unless anyone else knows different. I don't recall seeing brown plugs ever before. I've got NGK V-Power in there now, which may or may not be a factor. I'll probably go with Motorcraft, Autolite, ACDelco, etc.

For some reason on the way home Tuesday, the engine temp was between 1/2 and 3/4 on the gauge. Turning the air off made no difference. It's never gone over 1/2, even on a humid 95 degree day with the air on MAX up a steep hill (Tuesday was 85 and low humidity). I see no reason for it to do this all of a sudden other than the sending unit or gauge failed. I had no way of checking (my infrared temp gun is at work) but after a 10 minute hot soak, it fired right back up so I don't think it really was hotter than normal. If it isn't one thing, it's another:eek:

Back